Vitalant’s staff of highly experienced health professionals and technicians, working under the guidance and expertise of our Scientific/Medical Advisory Panel of industry leaders, physicians, researchers and parent advocates, offers both technical skill and unparalleled leadership as a cord blood provider.
This unique combination of talents ensures that our laboratory remains on the cutting-edge of new cord blood advances, while it guarantees the safety, integrity and viability of the cord blood stem cells.
Rigorous quality control standards are assessed and confirmed by:
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- AABB (formerly known as American Association of Blood Banks)
- State health offices
- Member of National Cord Blood Inventory (NCBI)
- Member of the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP)
- Accredited by AABB and the American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI)
- Registered with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Licensed by New Jersey, New York, Maryland, and California State.
To Learn More or Become Part of the Vitalant Cord Blood Program
The Vitalant Cord Blood Services currently serves Pennsylvania and New Jersey area hospitals with the potential to service other hospitals by request.
Cord blood cells (units) are only collected at hospitals/facilities accredited by a program approved by the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Hospitals are required to have a collaborative agreement with Vitalant. Read more.
Read more about our methodology and other aspects of our Cord Blood Program on our cord blood website.
Billing and payment FAQs
Vitalant has changed its billing process effective January 2022. Answers to frequently asked billing questions below:
Current customers will receive a letter via email or postal service (see example here) with the new information and a form you must fill out to let Vitalant know what you would like us to do with your stored cord blood product going forward. If you don’t receive your letter or have questions, please contact Mary Wiegel at 412-209-7479 or Joanne King-Mertz at 201-389-0494 during normal business hours.
As of January 2022, Vitalant will no longer be billing in the month of your child’s birth. Beginning this year (2022) and going forward, your annual invoice will be sent in January.
Vitalant offers the options of Cord Blood Payment Portal, ACH payment, wire payment or checks at our new bank, JP Morgan Chase. Payment instructions/information for all three options are available here.
You have 3 options for your cord blood moving forward:
- Transfer all collected cells to another accredited facility at your expense. If you choose to have your cells transferred to another facility, please note, per regulations, we are only able to transfer these products to an accredited hematopoietic stem cell lab. A Vitalant transfer fee of $150 per bag will be billed to you and must be paid in advance of transfer. Your account with Vitalant must be current and all outstanding amounts paid prior to transfer to a facility you designate.
- Discard all collected cells or use them for research such as laboratory quality control and viability studies, at no cost to you.
- Extend the storage of your collected cells at our facility at a current cost of $120 a year per bag.
You must designate your cord blood option by filling out and returning the form we sent to you. If you have questions about the options described above or do not receive your form, please contact Mary Wiegel at 412-209-7479 or Joanne King-Mertz at 201-389-0494 during normal business hours.
Please contact Mary Wiegel at 412-209-7479 Add or Joanne King-Mertz at 201-389-0494 during normal business hours.
Additional products and cord blood services
In addition to cord blood banking and cord blood stem cells collection, Vitalant Cord Blood Services offers samples for research, and educational materials and community outreach to help spread the word about the potential benefits of cord blood donation.
Vitalant’s cord blood stem cell laboratory for its public and family banking programs makes a variety of high-quality products* available for research purposes. Products will be available to medical professionals who can provide proof of peer-reviewed research.* Vitalant’s research products are derived from donated umbilical cord blood units that do not qualify for public banking, placental tissue, and/or by-products that would otherwise be discarded. Vitalant does not release samples for use in research involving embryonic stem cells.
Cord Blood Stories
Families that have been touched by a cord blood donation or have donated their baby's cord blood to help others share their stories to inspire others to share this lifesaving gift.